Building a Purpose Driven Agency
In today's rapidly evolving business landscape, where profit-driven enterprises are increasingly being held accountable for their impact on society and the environment, purpose-driven organisations are emerging as beacons of change. As an agency founder, I have witnessed the transformative power of aligning business goals with social and environmental responsibility. In this blog post, we will explore why I decided to pursue B-Corp certification, discuss the benefits and potential downsides, and provide five actionable tips for others to successfully build a purpose-driven business.
Why I Chose B-Corp Certification
Having witnessed the influence businesses can have on shaping society, I recognised the need for my agency to operate with a clear sense of purpose beyond mere profitability. I was drawn to the B-Corp movement, which offers a rigorous certification process designed to evaluate a company's performance in areas such as governance, workers, community, environment, and customers. This certification allows businesses to demonstrate their commitment to social and environmental responsibility while simultaneously meeting their financial objectives.
“Clock was a Prince’s Trust start-up in 1997. That has meant that my approach to business has not been just about making money. It has to serve some greater purpose and we pioneered flexible working, remote working and 14:00 early finish on a Friday right from the start. It’s great to see the rest of the world finally catching up!”
Benefits of B-Corp Certification:
- Amplifying Purpose: B-Corp certification provides a clear framework to incorporate purpose into the fabric of your business. By aligning best practices with social and environmental impact, you not only attract like-minded clients and talent but also create a sense of shared purpose within your organisation.
- Differentiation and Trust: B-Corp certification sets your business apart from competitors. It serves as an independent verification of your commitment to ethical business practices and positions you as a trusted partner for clients seeking socially responsible solutions. This can enhance your brand reputation and attract clients who value sustainable and ethical business practices.
- Employee Engagement and Attraction: Building a purpose-driven agency fosters a sense of pride and engagement among employees. By working towards shared goals that extend beyond profits, you can attract and retain talent that is motivated by making a positive impact. B-Corp certification can act as a powerful recruitment tool, attracting individuals who are passionate about working for organisations with a social mission.
- Access to Networks and Resources: Becoming a part of the B-Corp community opens doors to a network of like-minded businesses and industry experts. This community provides opportunities for collaboration, shared learning, and access to valuable resources that can help your agency grow sustainably.
- Financial Performance: Contrary to popular belief, purpose-driven organisations can be financially successful. Studies have shown that B-Corps outperform their conventional counterparts in terms of revenue growth, employee retention, and resilience during economic downturns. The B-Corp certification process encourages businesses to adopt sustainable practices, which can lead to cost savings, operational efficiencies, and increased long-term profitability.
Potential Downsides of B-Corp Certification
While B-Corp certification offers numerous benefits, it is important to consider potential downsides as well:
- Certification Process: The B-Corp certification process requires time, effort, and financial resources. The assessment can be rigorous, requiring companies to meet specific performance criteria and provide supporting documentation. It took us at least three months to get through the documentation required. But that gave me assurance that it was worth it and hard won. However, the process itself can also be a valuable learning experience, helping you identify areas for improvement and refine your business practices.
- Operational Changes: Aligning with B-Corp principles may require implementing operational changes within your business. This could involve adopting sustainable sourcing practices, investing in employee well-being programs, or enhancing your environmental impact. While these changes can yield long-term benefits, they may initially involve additional costs and require adjustments to your existing workflows.
- ”A lot of these things we were already doing. I estimated that we were probably already 80% there - but I was interested in the 20% that we weren’t and wanted to know how we could improve. The process was invaluable in identifying how we could be better.”
Tips for Success in Building a Purpose-Driven Digital Agency
- Define Your Purpose: Clearly articulate your agency's purpose beyond financial success. Identify the social and environmental issues that resonate with your team and clients. This purpose should serve as a guiding light for all your business decisions and actions.
- Engage Stakeholders: Involve your team, clients, and other stakeholders in shaping your agency's purpose and sustainability initiatives. Encourage open dialogue and seek their input to create a collective vision for impact-driven growth.
- Integrate Impact into Operations: Embed social and environmental considerations into your agency's core operations. This could involve implementing sustainable practices, promoting diversity and inclusion, and nurturing a culture of social responsibility.
- Set Measurable Goals: Define clear and measurable impact goals aligned with the B-Corp principles. Regularly track your progress and communicate your achievements transparently to stakeholders. This will help you stay accountable and inspire others to join your mission.
- Learn and Collaborate: Actively participate in the B-Corp community and engage with other purpose-driven organisations. Seek opportunities for knowledge sharing, collaboration, and partnerships that can amplify your collective impact.
Building a purpose-driven digital agency is not only about doing well financially but also about doing good for society and the environment. B-Corp certification offers a structured path for organisations to embrace social and environmental responsibility while achieving financial success. By embracing B-Corp principles, agencies can differentiate themselves, attract top talent, and contribute positively to the world. Embracing this certification requires commitment, but the benefits of amplifying purpose, building trust, and accessing networks far outweigh the challenges. So, let's embrace the B-Corp movement and collectively create a brighter future for businesses and society at large.